Do you have happy feet? Do they thank you at the end of a long day for taking care of them, or do they hate you for squeezing them into tight shoes, putting in too many steps, or wearing stilettos?
Summer is here, and it is high time to get off on the right foot – with your feet that is!
There are so many things that you can do to keep your feet happy this summer and beyond. Start with the following steps:
- Soak your feet in warm water for at least 10 minutes. To enhance pampering, add Epsom salt, herbal soaks or oils.
- Use a pumice stone or foot file to gently remove calluses around heels, balls and sides of feet.
- Eliminate dry, flaky skin using a gentle exfoliant on the soles, sides and tops of feet.
- Hydrate skin and increase circulation by massaging a generous amount of emollient-enriched lotion all over your feet.
- Consider using essential oils or aloe crème.
- To minimize the risk of ingrown toenails, trim nails straight across to just above the top of each toe.
- Lightly wrap feet in plastic wrap before bed to lock in moisture.
- If circulation is an issue, consider a pair of magnetic insoles for sleeping (tucked into your socks).
- Hydrate – the toxins need to be released from the body.
- Allow regular intervals without nail polish to let the nail bed breathe.
- Consider toxin-free nail polishes.
- Wash your feet daily with soap and water and dry thoroughly, especially between the toes.
- See a healthcare professional (podiatrist) in the event of any change in the condition of skin or toenails.
- Inspect your footwear from previous seasons and discard any shoes that show excessive wear.
- Invest in a good pair of walking shoes.
Happy feet will last a lifetime…keep yours in good shape!